Title: Part-time Business Manager
Location: Houston, TX
Reports to: Editor/Board President
About Gulf Coast: Gulf Coast is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, funded by grants and the support of individual donors. The nationally distributed journal is student-run, and housed within the University of Houston’s English Department. Gulf Coast promotes and publishes quality literature, art & programming in our local & national communities.
General Responsibilities: The Business Manager manages all bookkeeping and administrative duties in coordination with the Editor and a part-time Accountant.
- Receives, codes, submits, and tracks incoming invoices.
- Processes all author, artist, and vendor payments.
- Manages all earned income and journal subscriptions.
- Maintains donor database and prepares all donor tax letters.
- Administers all bank deposits and monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepares financial reports in coordination with the Editor and Accountant.
- Assists the Editor with preparing the annual operating budget and the financial portion of grant proposals and reports.
- Coordinates all tax reporting including: quarterly 941 tax returns, 1099 and W2 forms at year end, and prepares necessary information for yearly 990 tax returns (to be filed by licensed accountant.)
- Maintains and organizes physical and digital office files with attention to archiving.
- Assists Editor in Board correspondence, meeting organization, annual fundraisers, and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field highly desired.
- Three or more years of bookkeeping or administrative experience required, with a preference for individuals who have worked for non-profits.
- Strong organizational, scheduling, time management, and follow up skills, with the demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and projects.
- Proficiency in Quickbooks is required and strong computer skills are essential particularly for Microsoft Excel and Word. Additional experience with donor database systems is preferred.
Salary range: $21-25 per hour. 10-15 hours per week. Please send resume and cover letter to Misty Matin, Board President.